skip to content »

Children post divorce dating

Even when parents enter into a custody arrangement by consent and the terms are included in the decree, they always have the right to change their minds as to what they agreed.

The court won't decide custody for you if you and your spouse can reach an agreement, instead.

Most courts consider it best when spouses devise their own parenting plans – after all, no one understands your children and your family's needs better than you do.

If you begin dating someone during this time, and if the judge frowns on this, it can affect your final order.

If your spouse has temporary physical custody of your kids, and if she's not dating anyone, the court might believe her home offers the children more stability.

Your spouse can even amend her divorce papers to charge you with adultery as grounds.

If you have temporary physical custody, the court might decide to change this arrangement in the final decree if the judge feels that your dating is detrimental to your kids. The provisions in your decree can be modified post-divorce if there's a change of circumstances.Oklahoma courts tend to look for really significant changes before they'll alter permanent custody arrangements, however.

They don't say that if you go out for dinner with someone, your chances for gaining custody are nil -- but they don't say it's OK, either.The fact that a temporary order isn't forever doesn't lessen its importance, however.Its terms set a precedent, and they can sometimes – but not always – carry over to the final order.Unless you've been separated for years and are only now getting around to ending your marriage officially, dating during the temporary custody phase of your divorce means you've wasted no time in looking for someone new, and this might make your spouse angry and resentful.Negotiating a custody agreement might be impossible, and her anger make her fight you tooth and nail in court if your case goes to trial.Divorce decrees are not necessarily forever, especially regarding custody.